[wplug] Question for Storage Hardware Experts

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu May 27 16:09:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com> wrote:
> I use VMware Workstation to run an XP VM for "everyday Windows stuff".
>  However, I now have a need to use Firewire and a PCI framegrabber
> card under Windows.

I don't know what things are like in Ubuntu, but with Fedora's KVM /
QEMU virtualization, it may be possible to actually allow the Windows
guest to access the PCI devices (e.g. firewire and PCI framegrabber)
directly.

Its not a simple process.  I came really close to getting a SAS HBA to
work on a Windows guest a few months ago.  It was not a typical HBA
though, and it didn't work.  But it may be worth a try, and you may be
able to convert your VMWare VM to a KVM one with a few commands.