[wplug] OT (somewhat): Network question

Kiesling, Scott F kiesling at pitt.edu
Wed May 26 20:59:12 EDT 2010

Not sure I follow all that, but guess the upshot is bridge mode is OK? That or buy a PCI modem.

Actually, I live in Sq. Hill, but we seem to be just beyond fios, unless things jave changed recently.

SFK

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

________________________________
On May 26, 2010 6:26 PM, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 17:32 -0400, Scott F. Kiesling wrote:
> My biggest specific question is whether I should have the Westell
> modem connect in PPPoE (as it is now),

PPPoE on Verizon is only for some legacy coverage areas.  Most people in
the city just get bridged onto a massive DHCP-enabled WAN VLAN, like
Comcast.

When you dump, you can see all the Mac and Windows users broadcasting
NetBIOS and Bonjour/Avaiha onto the WAN because they dont filter
multicast address ingress.

> or to put it in bridge mode. I
> have heard in bridge mode you have to reset every day, so I am a

Never heard of that, but it sounds like its time for you to raise a
little bit of hell with Verizon.

BTW, Sangoma makes PCI ADSL2 modems (its not really a modem) and you can
get them on Ebay extra cheap these days; FreeBSD/Linux drivers are
included on the CD.

Best solution may be to simply move into the city.

~BAS