[wplug] DHCP Puzzle

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Sun May 9 19:41:45 EDT 2010

Dear WPLUG,

I am looking for help to solve a problem with DHCP.

In my limited play time here in Fukuoka, I set up a new Mac Mini OS X 10.6 Server (purchased in Pittsburgh) in a local Christian school (http://hakatanewlifechurch.org).

The church and school are on a DSL line using a Trio 3-G modem/router issued by the local ISP (Softbank/Yahoo Broadband BB).  With the Japanese language configuration menus, I cannot determine whether it is possible to shut off the router part of this beast so I seem to be forced to use it for gateway, port forwarding, DHCP, etc.

Amazingly enough I was able to get the Mini Server to install without major (i.e. fatal) configuration problems.  I can even access most control interfaces remotely now.  We had several Macintoshes we were working with so we were quite pleased with the results until somebody told me that none of the Windows PCs were working.  Any Macintosh was able to get an IP address without problem, but every Windows XP machine came up with the error of which the English part read:  "An error occurred while renewing interface" .  Looking at the list of leases in the router, an IP address was issued to the Windows machines (identified by MAC address), however the Windows machines seemed unable to bind to this IP address.  The help that I have found so far by Googling suggests some sort of Firewall problem or vLAN problem, but I am at a loss as to how to fix this.  I would like to get a DSL modem without a router and use an Apple airport for the edge router, but I have so far not been able to find anybody here in Japan that even understands what I am asking for.  I checked with the Apple store and the two largest electronic stores in Fukuoka.

Any suggestions?

By the way, the installation is at 220.58.178.21, identified by hnlcs.com.  Browsing to this domain results in a user interface from the Mini server (unless the ISP changes the IP address or the server is down).

Thanks,

Greg