[wplug] suggestion

George Larson george.g.larson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 08:38:23 EDT 2010

On 8 June 2010 00:35, Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:31 AM, David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> wplug-chat@ instance so we can chat about anything without worrying
> >> about being topical :)
> >
> > That might be a decent idea. I'm copying this to the planning list.
> >
> > I'd like to hear more about it. We have a membership meeting coming
> > up, and we could talk about it there, even vote to make it happen. The
> > board might even be keen on it, depending on circumstances.
> >
> > However, we also have the IRC chatroom, where wide-ranging
> > conversations have their own virtual community. If you can use it when
> > it's convenient for you, that might work better.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -- Dave O
>
> HI Dave,
>
> Ah yeah. I thought it might be a good way to 1) get more people
> involved (since not everyone is keen on IRC) and 2) ability to have
> good meaty discussions yet at everyone's convenience since they don't
> need to be sitting around chat client in real-time. That way I figured
> we can keep wplug@ more topical and if there is cool IT stuff that is
> not linux specific or more wide ranging chats (politics, weather,
> movies, etc.) we could also have that. I'd love to make the meeting,
> but recuperating from illness. Let me know if it's voted on and the
> result.
>
> Thanks!
> Zach
>
> <>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

I think that's a great idea.  I must admit, I've never noticed so much as a
sideways glance for sending OT subjects to the list -- but I am still
mindful of it.  There's certainly other things I would share, if there were
a designated place for it.  If for no other reason, I might find out that
other list members also have an interest in psychology or cosmology or
whatever.

However, I wouldn't consider firing up an IRC client to share those in a
chat room.  One, I imagine that those interested probably have the same or
similar feeds in their RSS readers.  Two, I'd happily entertain a drawn out
conversation, such as those that take place via email, but I probably don't
have the time right this very moment for us to discuss life, universe and
everything.

So please know that a wplug-chat list would be well received here!