[wplug] chroot problem

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 17:29:45 EDT 2010

i upgraded from vista to win7 on my pc which dual boots debian squeeze
so it wiped away the grub2 boot loader from MBR
so i burn copy of Debian Live (also tried Ubuntu 9.04) boot disc:

in order to get it working i tried to mount the root partition :
# mount /dev/sda5 /tmp/mnt

that is fine, but when i run chroot i get weird error:
# chroot /tmp/mnt
# chroot: cannot execute command '/bin/bash' : Exec format error

Both the Debian and Ubuntu Live CDs are x64 architecture, my Debian
squeeze kernel is x64 architecture too
so I reallly don't understand this problem!

I even tried running non-interactive chroot such as:
# chroot /tmp/mnt update-grub

Any idea how I can solve this and run update-grub on my root partition
to restore GRUB?

Thanks,
Zach

<>< http://www.fidei.org ><>