[wplug] CentOS Software RAID and partitioning

Christopher DeMarco demarco at maya.com
Fri Jan 22 11:35:31 EST 2010

On Wed Jan 20 16:56:08 2010 -0500, Bruce Letterle wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can setup software RAID or change disk
> partitions after a CentOS 5 32 bit installation is complete? I have a

"It depends."

> new server provisioned with 2 x 1TB drives and the default partitioning

Unclear how the drives are setup: Are the 2 drives in a RAID-0 array?
Or only 1 drive in use?

> is the following. It seems like there is way too much under / and I'm

Where else would you want the space?  Sounds like you want LVM, but if
everything's in / then...?

Converting from non-LVM to LVM is difficult; you can't (AFAIK) convert
the partition type and import to LVM without losing all data on the
partition - but if you've got a "holding disk" then it should be fine.

> fsck if they server hangs. Also, I'm thinking software RAID would be a
> good idea, but I don't know if you can add it. I haven't done anything

It's fairly easy to go from a single drive setup to software RAID.  I
documented how I did it here:

    http://alephant.net/hints.shtml

    (the site sucks, don't read the rest :-/)

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com>
IT Director