[wplug] VPS hosts at around 40$/mo?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Jan 12 09:12:43 EST 2010

Greg Simkins <gregsimkins at me.com> wrote:

> The answer to every question is - you are the admin - you figure it
> out or pay us.

You'll get a similar response with Linode, except there is no "pay
us" option.  It is totally unmanaged hosting, which means you are
responsible for what goes on your (virtual) machine.  In many ways
the attraction of a VPS is that you can create your own custom
setup.  No provider could be reasonably expected to support every
possible configuration their customers can come up with.

That said, there is helpful documentation
<http://library.linode.com/> provided and forums and other
community support resources <http://www.linode.com/community/>.
But I'd say that someone who isn't comfortable managing their own
services should probably not run a production server on Linode.
It is inexpensive enough to use as a learning experience if you
want to experiment.

One nice feature of Linode is that they will prorate your charges,
so if you sign up for a month and give up in frustration after a
week, you can cancel and get a refund for the time you didn't use.