[wplug] VPS hosts at around 40$/mo?

Eli Heady eli.heady at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:05:36 EST 2010

> Douglas Green wrote:
>> Hi all-
>> providers out there that I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of
>> something better for a similar price range (I'm looking to spend no
>> more than about 40$/mo initially). Does anyone have any
>> recommendations for other VPS providers I should be aware of? Does
>> anyone have experience with Linode (good/bad/ugly?)?
>> Thanks!
>> -Doug

Hi Doug,

I've spent time this weekend considering switching to Linode, so your
timing is interesting. There is a writeup and performance comparison
of several VPS providers (including commodity Amazon and Rackspace) at
http://journal.uggedal.com/vps-performance-comparison   I haven't
looked too close, but on it's face, Linode performs well.

Bruce hit it on the nose about your technical needs. If rolling your
own is a priority, a big plus for Linode compared to many other VPS
providers: you may use your own kernel and OS image.

-eli