[wplug] VPS hosts at around 40$/mo?

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Sun Jan 10 18:17:59 EST 2010

I have been using two VPS for the past year:  one Windows and one CentOS.  I started with Dotster, my registrar.  Their support was horrible.  The answer to every question is - you are the admin - you figure it out or pay us.  I was new to the Plesk interface.  I have grown to like it very much, but there were a few booby traps that 10 years of Windows server admin did not prepare me for.

I switched to PowerVPS after a month of Dotster.  PowerVPS (http://powervps.com/) advertised their great support, which drew me in like a moth to light.  They have not disappointed me.  They are slightly more expensive, but every bit worth it.  I get very timely responses to any question.  They always are helpful, even if they have to tell me that my question borders on out-of-scope support.  I just checked their web site.  It has been a bit reorganized since I signed up a year ago, but they don't appear to have anything as low as $40.  The $59 package may well be worth it for you.

With a Plesk front end on both the Windows and the Linux VPS, the experience is rather similar.  Except the Windows server, like the physical counterpart, has to rebooted at least once per week to clear the memory.  Plesk exposes just the functions that are needed by a web server admin:  scripting, aliases, email, database, etc. all in one smooth environment.  No more pecking through the various nooks and crannys of Windows, trying to avoid stuff like active directory domains, security policies, etc.

I think PowerVPS basic package gets you 10 domains or something like that.  For a bit more, you can get 100 domains.  I am close to 100 sites on the Windows VPS and I am not sure the thing can actually support that many.  I am not up to that level yet on Linux, but the memory management seems to be much better.

Greg