[wplug] Nokia 810 (Was: iPod touch and linux?)

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Jan 6 09:38:17 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 12:18:46AM -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
> Can I run
> emacs and gcc on it?! Would be awesome to code while sitting on the
> boring 51C without having to bust out my 17" clunky (but nice!) Dell
> Inspiron!

I have an n810.

While I'm sure it is *possible* I can barely consider it an easy
thing.  I've never run emacs on the system directly, but in an ssh
session on another system, and it's a pain in the neck due to the
keyboard.  The slide-out keyboard is nice, but really only good for
writing IMs or email, and I'd only use it for more complex typing in
an emergency.

That said, it holds its battery life for a LONG time, making it a
great thing to just keep in your briefcase/bag/whatever for
entertainment or an emergency terminal.  The GPS software is OK but
takes a long time to sync with sattelites (compared to what I've seen
with smart phones which can take advantage of cell towers too.)

I've never tried cross-compiling software for the ARM CPU, so I can't
comment on that.  There are some third party repos you can add that
include a LOT of software which might help save on compilation time.