[wplug] iPod touch and linux?

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Wed Jan 6 00:43:11 EST 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 12:18:46 am Zachary Uram wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Robert E. Coutch
>
> <robert.coutch at verizon.net> wrote:
> > Perhaps consider picking up a used Nokia N810 from eBay.
> >
> > I got mine for less than $200 and it runs Skype (no video) and Gizmo
> > (w/video).
> >
> > It does WiFi, has a built in mic, camera and stereo speakers and supports
> > bluetooth (but not bluetooth stereo).
> >
> > It's a bit bigger than an iPod but sports a slide out keyboard.
> >
> > I use it as a web browser (with flash 9 included) and music/video player.
> > Best of all - it runs Linux (Maemo linux based on debian).
>
> Cool. So I can get an ssh terminal?
Yes - Just download the app for ssh via the built-in interface or use apt-get.

> I don't need to sign up with any
> carrier right. So free hotspots or wifi at home via my router would be
> the only way to get internet connectivity with this correct?
Correct.

> Can I run
> emacs and gcc on it?! Would be awesome to code while sitting on the
> boring 51C without having to bust out my 17" clunky (but nice!) Dell
> Inspiron! hehe.
Not sure about emacs because I use vi and ABIWord.
Even if gcc is available, would you really want to compile on a device with
limited memory and CPU speed?

> Does this have it's own SDK kit? How would I develop
> apps for it? Is there an app store?
There is an SDK you can download from the Maemo site.
There are a few commercial apps but most are free like any other distro has.

> Does anyone know if this exists:
> you purchase apps in iTunes store or Android marketplace and then an
> open source app would let you run them natively on your Nokia or
> whatever device you have? That would be sweet!

I don't know of such a thing but the Nokia has loads of apps that you can
check out at maemo.org

I hear that there is a way to run full blown debian from an SD card but I
haven't had the urge to try that.

There's also a version of Android that runs on the N810 but I haven't tested
that either.

Just note that there are updates for the Nokia N810 and some software requires
the latest OS update to run.

There are also a bunch of repositories for software for each OS version and
once correctly added make getting new stuff as easy as using Ubuntu or most
modern distros.

There's a new N900 coming soon that has updated hardware and includes cell
phone capabilities.

HERE ARE SOME FEATURES THE iPod CAN ONLY DREAM ABOUT.

The N810 has GPS and comes with a navigation program and more are available
from the net.

The USB port can be placed into host mode and then you can plug in a keyboard,
USB flash drive or even an external USB VGA adapter.

Bluetooth file transfer is built-in as well as SMB via wireless.

You will need to find a MINI-SD card (not MICRO) and that's the tricky part.
I found a MICRO-SD that included a MINI-SD adapter.

Do some googling and check out the forums at maemo.org for tons of
information.