[wplug] Yahoo briefcase simliar service?

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:34:11 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Sam Al-Droubi <saldroubi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A number of you suggested dropbox http://www.dropbox.com.  Thank you for the pointer.  I started using it and I really like it so far.  Regarding security, would you store any of your confidential data such as medical or finacial files on it?  Is it easy to break into your dropbox account and do the folks that work at dropbox have access to view the data or is it encrypted somehow?

If you have to ask if its secure, you can't assume it is.  People on
Dropbox probably don't have access to your data, but until you audit
the source code (and the associated server code), you have to assume
its not that secure.

Dropbox uses Amazon S3 as its backend.  I would recommend looking into
cutting them out as the middleman if you're looking to use such a
service and worried about security.  (Provided that Amazon S3 has
acceptable security to you, which it may or may not.)