[wplug] Google Voice

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Tue Jan 5 16:02:33 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:11:53PM -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
> >
> > Thanks guys! I appreciate the invite. I see. Is it safe to assume it
> > will only let you register numbers that aren't already registered to
> > someone else (whether it be a real landline or cell number)? Like if
> > Susy in Wisconsin has 942-833-1233 for her home phone then I can't
> > make that my GV number yes?
>
> No, Google only has access to certain blocks of numbers.  Obviously,
> these are not numbers other people have.  The choice of area codes is
> so you can get a number that is not long distance to friends or
> family, or just for familiarity.

The technical term for what you refer to is number portability.  And Google
Voice doesn't support it yet.  Although, the twitterwebs say it is coming
soon with the Nexus One and Verizon (seriously, why get the Nexus One on
T-Mobile if Verizon has a better network?).

On the plus side, you can do searches for clever words in your phone number,
because, really, do area codes even matter anymore?

Once you select a GV number it's kinda permanent -- well, you can change it
for $10.