[wplug] Google Voice

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Tue Jan 5 15:59:41 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:41:53PM -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
> >
> > Where exactly does one apply for a Google Voice number? I thought it
> > was just a VOIP client.
>
> Actually, it isn't a VoIP service, at least not yet.  You can have it
> call Skype though.

Well, it is, sorta.  But it's a little roundabout.  If you got a Gizmo5
account before Gizmo5 was bought by Google you can have your GV number ring
your Gizmo5 number.  Likewise, you can make outgoing calls using Gizmo5 and
GV, but you need to tell GV to ring your phone through the web interface.
 On the plus side, it makes recording calls with my deadbeat management
company really easy.  Double plus for not living in a state that requires
all party notification anymore.  :-)

> > Will a GV number be recognized by services
> > that check to see if a number is a valid cell phone number?
>
> No, it won't, as far as I've experienced.  It tends to think of it as
> a land line.

I've had no problems in that area.

> > If so I'd
> > like to do that. Also can people send SMS texts to your GV number?
>
> Yes.  For free.  I tell my SMS-happy friends to SMS me at the GV
> number since it is turned into email, so I'm not paying $0.14 per text
> or whatever outrageous price they're charging now.

Also, you can just reply to the SMS messages as they hit your email and they
get sent back.  Really great.