[wplug] Google Voice

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jan 5 13:28:24 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:41:53PM -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:

> Where exactly does one apply for a Google Voice number? I thought it
> was just a VOIP client.

Actually, it isn't a VoIP service, at least not yet.  You can have it
call Skype though.

> Will a GV number be recognized by services
> that check to see if a number is a valid cell phone number?

No, it won't, as far as I've experienced.  It tends to think of it as
a land line.

> If so I'd
> like to do that. Also can people send SMS texts to your GV number?

Yes.  For free.  I tell my SMS-happy friends to SMS me at the GV
number since it is turned into email, so I'm not paying $0.14 per text
or whatever outrageous price they're charging now.