[wplug] Google Wave Aftermath

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:12:18 EST 2010

Well, after the flurry of Google Wave activity yesterday, I thought
I'd share some thoughts on it.

1) The user interface is clunky.  I find myself using the mouse a lot
more than I'd like.
2) For realtime collaboration, its pretty clunky.  I like to be
notified (perhaps a tray icon is best) of changes.
3) I have way too many contacts.  I use gmail for mailing list
reading, and there were all kinds of people that were my "contacts"
who just happen to be on the same mailing lists.
4) Anybody who's done rich text editing in a web browser now and 5 or
10 years ago knows that the widgets and tools have gotten a lot
better.  But they still suck.

There are positive sides - its got potential - but it needs to replace
something rather than be "one more thing you have to check every day."