[wplug] Google Voice

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jan 5 07:40:27 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:18:42AM -0500, George Larson wrote:
> 2. Text message transcription:  I'm in love with this feature.  Somebody
> calls me and I don't pick up.  Google takes a pretty good guess at what they
> said and then sends the transcript via email or SMS.  So I ignore the kid's
> call because I'm in a meeting, right?  I get a text within moments that
> tells me if the call is "Can I go to whomever's house?" or something
> demanding more immediate attention (e.g. "I'm locked out of the house")

I can't agree more with you about this feature.  I gave my GV number
to my realtor because it will ring at home, work and on my cell during
certain hours.  However, getting her (sometimes frequent, usually
stream-of-consciousness) voicemail was a pain until I started using
this feature.  Now I can read the email while listening to the
voicemail (which highlights the words being spoken in the text as you
listen), and refer back to it later.  This is terribly useful to
someone like me who has a hard time understanding voice on the phone.