[wplug] Google Voice

George Larson george.g.larson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 07:18:42 EST 2010

Hello friends,

Since Google Wave was brought up and it turned out a few people on the list
wanted invites, I'd like to extend the same offer with Google Voice.

I was little lukewarm on GV at first.  Let's be honest.  Google is giving
free numbers so they can catalog whom we call and who calls us.  Here's some
of what convinced me:
1. Blocking and distribution lists:  I haven't used this feature yet but, as
I understand it, I can block calls from [THIS-GUY-I-OWE-A-LOTSA-MONEY] and
meanwhile, I can set it so call from my son's cell ring on my cell, home and
office.
2. Text message transcription:  I'm in love with this feature.  Somebody
calls me and I don't pick up.  Google takes a pretty good guess at what they
said and then sends the transcript via email or SMS.  So I ignore the kid's
call because I'm in a meeting, right?  I get a text within moments that
tells me if the call is "Can I go to whomever's house?" or something
demanding more immediate attention (e.g. "I'm locked out of the house")
3. Get your VM's from anywhere you have teh Interwebs
4. One number for all intents and purposes.  I've been doing independent
contracting for almost two decades now.  I can't even hazard a realistic
guess how many different business cards I have ordered.  In some of those
cases, I was ordering new cards *only* because my cell number changed.  I
realize that you can keep your old number in these modern and magical
times.  However, I can keep my Google Voice number even if I decide to
change cell numbers.  The same could apply, in theory, to giving one number
to people like my mother.  However, that theory is partially banking on the
idea that Google, and this product, will be around forever.  I'm not ready
to put eggs in that basket.

Well, that's my (somewhat rambling) list of things I like about GV.  If
anybody needs an invite just say the word.

Currently, I have only one invite but I've given invites to my brother, wife
and some friends -- so I figger I can get some, if we should find demand
outweighs supply.

P.S. My wife has three, so I have a total of four invites I can share
immediately.