[wplug] google wave

J Aaron Farr farra at apache.org
Mon Jan 4 14:52:35 EST 2010

On Mon 04 Jan 2010 11:10, Ben Beige <dariuscardren at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got it too, and still have not found a ideal use that people
> contribute to. dariuscardren at gmail.com is me

I'm at `jaaronfarr at googlewave.com`

I've been using Google Wave since the developer preview and I have found
a few good use cases.  I use Wave for document collaboration, like a
wiki, more than for email or IM.  It's also more suited for use in a
team that's working on a project than for just chatting between
friends.  Anyway, here are some actual uses that have worked well:

 - Feature and requirement design for a software project for work.
   This worked great.

 - Sharing notes at a conference with simultaneous editing.

 - Keeping notes during a conference call.

 - Working on lists between my wife and I, for example, movies we want
   to see, music we want to purchase, etc.

 - Blog article drafts for sites with multiple authors.

 - Running a D&D roleplaying game in both play-by-post style and
   simultaneous chat.

 - Creating a list of local startups in Hong Kong

If you think of it as a personal wiki that you can selectively share
pages with other people, then Wave has some interesting uses.

For example:  Start with a single wave for WPLUG as a starting off
point.  It should include useful links and details about the next
meeting.  For each meeting, create a new wave that people edit during
the session.  It can include notes about what's going on, questions,
thoughts, links, etc.  Those who cannot attend can at least get the
notes later, of even follow the event remotely.  The speaker or others
can later come back in and redit the wave, cleaning it up and answering
the questions.  These meeting waves get linked back to the main WPLUG
wave.

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁