[wplug] Linux certification - more questions

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Mon Feb 15 19:28:24 EST 2010

Hi Rob,

I am with you.  I am not interested in a job as an admin, but am interested in satisfying myself that I have a pretty good idea of the basic Linux topics - and like you say - to find out what I don't know, you know?

I concluded that LPI would be my choice and started studying for it a couple times, but kept getting side tracked.  Like now, I am working in Japan on a QA assignment. I doubt if I will ever be professionally managing any servers.  I am interested, however, in learning Internationalization topics for web design.

The biggest reason I like LPI is because ubuntu uses it.  I have decided to focus on ubuntu because it focuses on Internationalization.

I took a stroll though a local bookstore here in Fukuoka to see what computer topics are selling here.  I concluded that LPI is more popular than Redhat here.  You can reach your own conclusion by browsing through my photos.  I hope you find that mildly amusing.  I didn't photograph all the computer books, but I posted a sampling here:  http://web.me.com/gsimkins/Kyushu_Japan/Software_in_Japan.html

(By way, I am also Microsoft certified.  The Government decided that when I was laid off, I could get restructured as a network engineer.  It didn't work).

Greg