[wplug] Linux certification - more questions

Tom Grove tom.grove at nepinc.com
Mon Feb 15 14:26:46 EST 2010

My .02...

Certifications are only useful if the person holding them can demonstrate the skills that were learned when preparing for the exam.  RedHat has followed in the footsteps of Cisco by testing via hands on activity not pencil and paper only.  It's difficult to walk into a RedHat or Cisco exam after cramming for a week and pass.  Some experienced admins may be able to pull this off because of real world practice.

I've run across enough Sys Admins that were certified (RHCE and MCSE) and couldn't hold a candle to the guys that were self-taught or university taught.  However, if you are willing to put forth the effort and actually learn the material, not simply memorize it, the classes that go along with the RHCE or RHCT exams are well worth it.  You will have more leverage in salary negotiations, you will have a wider job selection and will most likely receive more interest from companies that do keyword scans on resumes (see big companies).

My advice is this, don't think that you will just walk in, pass an exam and then be a super admin.  You will need to put forth the effort and learn the material so that you can succeed in whatever job you take after.

--
Tom Grove