[wplug] blowback deluge

Rob Lines rlinesseagate at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 09:37:20 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:
> Lately I've been deluged with blowback (bounce emails from mailer
> daemons in reaction to spam sent with my e-mail address in the From
> field).  I'm getting hundreds of these per hour.  It tends to stop for
> a day or so, then pick up again.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this, or am I just the unlucky recipient
> of some botnet's affections?

It has been a year or two since I last had that happen.  My solution
at the time was to just create a rule in gmail to look for the subject
line of the original spam mail that was sent out. I didn't flat delete
the messages I just saved them under a label and archived them then
when I had a chance I would go through the list and look for any that
were a real person complaining and let them know that I am sorry they
got spam but that I had not sent the message.  And more importantly to
deal with any mail admin's who were threatening to black list me.

No real way to stop the root problem until there is a shift in e-mail
to require a confirmed contact for sent e-mail.

Rob