[wplug] Anyone know of any fiber providers in Pitt whose name doesn't start with a V?

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Mon Aug 9 10:26:44 EDT 2010

I have the same question in South Hills.  I regard Verizon customer service as below the minimum acceptable level, but I know from experience that the FIOS service will be fine once I go through the pain of setting it up and then hoping there are no changes needed.

For the record, my wife noted that during the snow storm this past winter our neighbors with Comcast had no service at all, not even telephone.  Our FIOS line (with Vonage telephone) worked just fine.

My plan is to try to get my TV consolidated with my Internet and perhaps even the telephone.  The whole package can be had for about the same price as the current Comcast TV cable bill.  I have avoided that consolidation in the past in order to avoid dealing with Verizon.  Now, that it appears that I have no choice, my plan A is to try to put something together with Verizon.  God help me!

Last week I set up FIOS Internet for my daughter who lives nearby.  I was told that in order to avoid the "free" trials (that automatically bill you after awhile), I had to check a box in the setup screen.  I was told I could not opt out prior to installation.  It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to accomplish this task.  (The setup screen idea did not work because we didn't have an account number or a Verizon phone number).  The first answer on 1-800-GET-FIOS wasn't even Verizon.  They asked me what phone company I wanted to talk to.  I was transferred 5 times, each time being told the next one would give what I needed.  I think I finally got the free trials cancelled.  (Cross my fingers).

Greg