[wplug] Nvidia on Ubuntu with dual monitors

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 7 11:37:15 EDT 2010

> My desktop is running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit and has installed a Nvidia
> Quadro FX 1400.  I am using the Nvidia proprietary driver, version
> 185.
>
> Attached are two identical Planar PL1910MW LCDs via the DVI interfaces.
>
> The primary monitor DFP-0 is reported as having a native and best fit
> resolution of 1680x1050.  The secondary monitor DFP-1 is reported as
> 1440x900.  Both LCDs are working using these settings.
>
> I am trying to force the resolution of the secondary monitor to
> 1680x1050 to match that of the primary.  I have tried methods
> described on several forums, but nothing has yet worked.

I'm using a similar but not identical setup. I'm using Debian, a G92
card, version 190 of the proprietary nVidia driver, and two identical
Dell monitors.

Have you tried switching the monitor connections?  If the difference
in resolution follows the monitor, then the monitors are probably
reporting different EDID info.  If it stays with the graphics card
connector, then it might be a limitation of the card.  You can turn on
more verbose logging and see how the xorg driver is determining the
available modes.

Here's my (entire) xorg.conf:

    Section "Device"
      Identifier "Device"
      Driver "nvidia"
      Option "TwinView"
      # I could omit the next 2 lines if I just switched the cables
      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
      Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
    EndSection

I think you should be able to add a line like this:
      Option MetaModes "1680x1050,1680x1050"
to force things the way you want.