[wplug] Sharing Devices and Files between users - Ubuntu 8.10

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Mon Apr 5 07:35:30 EDT 2010

Progress Report:

I was not able to find a plugdev group on the Dell Mini with ubuntu 8.10 LTS.  There were a couple dozen groups, none of which I recognized as providing the access I desire.  I created a group called plugdev, but couldn't find a way to assign the access to new devices to this new group.  I found discussion at http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/11/msg00201.html, but it is command line oriented.  I don't want to ask an 8 year old to do anything from the command line.

I found that I could eject the SD drive, change to the maria user and reinsert the SD drive.  This way it belongs to maria instead of greg and I could then move the one file of interest into her own folder.  Both greg and maria belong to the admin group.  I would think that would be sufficient.  I hesitate to put us both in the root group.  I think that is a security risk and not the proper way to accomplish what I want to do.

I will keep researching.

Greg