[wplug] 10 years old!

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Tue Sep 15 13:33:42 EDT 2009

> Also, the group will be 4,382 days old (or 12 years old if you roll that
> way) on Saturday the 26th.  Lets all install Slackware with IceWM on that
> day.  Or maybe not.  Anyway, just wanted to make mention of those two facts.

Slackware, while popular, was already well on it's way to chill with
Yggsdrasil Linux in September of 1997.  As I recall, a little company from
Research Triangle Park was shipping a product called Red Hat 4.  It shipped
with a curious window manager called FVWM95 and they sold Applix as the
office suite. The first beta version of KDE wouldn't be released for a few
months (but man was that a step forward). Other folks were running Debian
1.3 fresh off the heels of the creation of the Debian Social Contract.
Debian was great because it made it dead simple to run Enlightenment.  Of
course, none of these distributions was truly free, because glibc wasn't in
wide use at the time.

This is through the foggy lens of my own memory and perspective.  At the
time there wasn't a distrowatch to get this information from.  Heck,
Slashdot didn't even exist yet.  It was called Chips and Dips and run off a
DEC Multia using spare bandwidth from the Image Group in Holland, MI.

--Patrick