[wplug] DNS law?

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 07:28:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 21:14, Douglas Green <diego96 at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Group-
>
> I understand that I'm not consulting an attorney by addressing your
> guys, and that your opinions don't constitute legal advice, etc.
> Nevertheless, many of you are pretty well informed regarding internet
> and The Law. Besides that, you're all pretty sharp.

[standard IANAL disclaimer applies]

Outside of the allegation of defamation, you're in ICANN dispute resolution
territory:

http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm

The short version is that when you register a domain name, you are
representing to the registrar that the domain name you register does not, to
the best of your ability, infringe on anyone else's rights (including
trademark).  That's been the case for the past 10 years.

A C&D is usually just the first line of defense (primarily because it's the
least expensive option for the trademark holder); after that, it gets real
legal real fast.

Even shorter version: if you do intend to refuse the request, talk to a
lawyer.

--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>