[wplug] OT: Going back to school (college/trade)

Duncan Hutty dhutty at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 1 14:00:13 EDT 2009

scoob8000 wrote:
> So I'm back to thinking about taking advantage of my employer's tuition
> reimbursement program.
>
> What schools can any of you recommend for someone that works full time and
> would like to go to class in the evenings a few nights during the week?
>
> Classes will have to be geared towards the telecom/IT field, but would like
> to stay on the linux side of the house.  I've had enough "Windows Server"
> classes.

I don't think anyone here's going to recommend "Windows Server" classes:)

So the first thing is to decide what you want and why. Are you trying to
achieve a particular goal? Obtain a particular skillset? Are you
"merely" trying to improve your education in general? Or do you want to
study something that fits in with your existing career goals.

If you're looking for training with particular tools ("linux side of the
house"), then I think the universities will be mostly disappointing and
you'll do better with training classes/certification prep (but pick
carefully!).

However, I would consider the fact that tools go in and out of fashion
quickly, but a good background and good grasp of fundamental concepts
will be more beneficial and last a lot longer.

Nowadays there are lots of options for education particularly if you
have varied interests. Several well respected universities publish
audio/video of many different classes. http://openculture.com is good
place to start looking. Of course there are advantages and
disadvantages, but there is likely some value.

--
Duncan Hutty