[wplug] Serial Server Software

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 13:47:09 EDT 2009

DK wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have project which requires RS232 communication to several
> industrial control devices.  My first thought was to use one or more
> serial server appliances, similar to:
>
> http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/mss4.html
> or
> http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/portserverts816.jsp
>
> However, these servers cost upward of $600.

Check out the Lucent Portmasters if you still want to go that
direction.  Old hardware but they work quite well.  They typically have
10BaseT network connections, and you can set a series of telnet ports to
forward to each individual connected serial port.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lucent-30-Port-PortMaster-PM2E-30-Communication-Server_W0QQitemZ200390430467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea8334f03

You may need some DB25-DB9 adapters, depending on the equipment you're
hooking up.