[wplug] nokia n900 vs iphone

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Mon Oct 19 13:04:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:12:19AM -0400, Kevin Dunn wrote:
> Anybody lookin at buying the Nokia N900?

I'm planning to buy one.  I've been hanging onto my old Palm Centro
until I can replace it with an open Linux phone.  I also have an N800,
and I like the fact that it's completely open and Debian-based.
Althought the Google phones run Linux, their user-land is so different
from GNU/Linux that porting existing apps appears to be difficult.

As a phone, the N900 probably may not be as polished and slick as an
iPhone, but it's the same as the choice between Linux PCs rather than
Macs.  Reasonable people can make the opposite choice. (The choice of
Windows, on the other hand, is just plain indefensible :-) Here's an
interesting recent blog post about the issue:

    http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20091017-00

Cheers,
Eric