[wplug] GNU GPL License

Tom Grove tom.grove at nepinc.com
Wed Oct 14 16:02:59 EDT 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Bruno Pierri Galvao wrote:

> I am still uncertain on the whole situation. If I have all my code
> contributions open source then how can I develop a multimillion dollar
> business when anyone could take the code and set up the exact same
> business in minutes? Open source sounds nice but is it the best
> approach for my situation?

That is certainly a valid question and I believe one that many
software startups probably go through.  I'm not certain what your
business model would be so, take this with a grain of salt.  No matter
whether you go open or closed source someone can mimic your idea.
Take MySpace for example.  They took an idea from GeoCities and
expanded upon it, Facebook took from MySpace and expanded upon it, and
so will the next social networking site.  All of the previously
mentioned companies were closed source.  Even operating systems can
"borrow" ideas from one and other, closed or open source...that's not
an issue.

If you plan on making money by selling your software maybe closed
source is the way to go, although there are arguments against that.
If you plan on doing some sort of subscription service or using a
support contract model then you would benefit from open source and the
additions that fellow developers would be able to implement and give
back.  Take these companies into consideration when thinking about
making money using open source; RedHat (subscription/support model),
SugarCRM, Zimbra, Novell, Sun, MySQL AB, Zend, Canonical and many
more.  These companies all use open source software to make money.
Some certainly do better than others but they all seemed to use open
source and the community that goes along with it to their advantage.

The bottom line is this.  There are advantages to open source and
closed source depending on your business model.  If your idea if solid
and you have a good business plan you are ahead of the game.  The one
thing that you mustn't forget is to always be innovative.  Someone
else will eventually use your idea and expand upon it or will create
something similar and better, you just have to stay one step ahead of
them.  Open or closed your biggest enemy is becoming stagnant.  The
more people you have helping develop your software the better chance
you have of not stagnating.

Tom