[wplug] Managing Environment Variables - Follow-up

Weber, Lawrence A Lawrence.Weber at ansaldo-sts.us
Mon Nov 30 14:54:50 EST 2009

Last week I posted a question to this list, asking for help in setting
environment variables that would be in effect for sub-shells.  At the
time I was editing .bashrc for each project I had to build.  I had tried
sourcing a shell script that set the values but it was not holding the
values in sub-shells.

I received several good suggestions but it bothered me that sourcing a
shell script did not work so I investigated a bit more.  I discovered
that even if I removed the environment variables from my .bashrc file
that the variables still had valid values when I exited and re-entered a
new terminal.  I search all files in my home directory and in /etc but
could not find a source for the variables.  I could change their values
but when I re-entered a terminal, they had the old values.  I checked to
confirm that .bash_profile has never been changed.  I then did a very
Windoz like thing and rebooted my system.  The environment variables
went away and I can now source them with scripts, or place them in the
upper level Makefile and they hold their value in sub-shells.  I just
might have to pretend this never happened.