[wplug] Hard Drive Partitions - Windows 7 NetBook

Greg Simkins gregsimkins at me.com
Thu Nov 26 15:24:06 EST 2009

Thanks Vance!  That is exactly what I needed!  I have Windows 7 and ubuntu 9.10 all up and running now on my Toshiba NetBook with shared access to the sda6 Storage partition.

Of course I had to blow away the ubuntu I had previously installed, but I had plenty more bits where they came from.  :)   (that is my bootable 2GB usb thumb drive with ubuntu 9.10).

One point of curiosity:  When I created the extended partition using GParted, it reserved 2-1/2 GB of unallocated space that I simply could not stuff into sda5 or sda6.  Perhaps it is needed for some overhead function.

Now, I need to get a shared email store that I can access from either side.  I think Thunderbird will support that OK.

The update function (Synaptic) in ubuntu 9.10 offered to replace my GRUB with a new one.  I chickened out on that one.

Also, the ubuntu seems to come up slowly.  Perhaps I need to stuff another GB or Ram into this machine.

Greg