[wplug] netstat and a worrying connection

Terence J. Golightly t.golightly at verizon.net
Thu Nov 12 13:03:29 EST 2009

Brian,

>On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 10:55 -0500, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 09:35 -0500, Terence J. Golightly wrote:
> > I will be googling, but thought one of you security experts
>
> I would use pfctl(8) -F on pf(4) to flush a specific state from the
> table.  That will cause the forwarding device / upstream router (or
> localhost if you have it enabled).

I pfctl available on Debian system's?  an aptitude search doesn't show
it in the repositories for Ubuntu.

> Either that, or insert a temporary rule that does "block
> return-rst" (Which will force the client to reset the kernel socket
> structure) for the specific source/destination address.

I'm using Shorewall on my box and my Actiontec mixxxxxx has a builtin
firewall.  I'm not too savvy regarding setting up rules.  I know how to
open a port on my local firewalls.

> Most PF users have a pf(4) table (<wankers>) and a referenced standby
> rule for use in DDoS situations.

again another BSD utility.  I'll google some more

Thanks for your reply

Terry