[wplug] netstat and a worrying connection

Terence J. Golightly t.golightly at verizon.net
Thu Nov 12 09:35:38 EST 2009

Greetings group,

below is output from netstat.

<I Like Scripting>netstat -tpe
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State       User       Inode       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:40981     digg.com:www
TIME_WAIT   root       0           -
tcp        0      0 xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx:56473     qy-in-f102.1e100.ne:www
ESTABLISHED terryg     104819      11014/firefox
<I Like Scripting>

I am sitting on a web page that has a digg icon on it.  However, I
noticed it before I shutdown my network connection (clearing a whole lot
of connections.  The Digg one got my attention.  This doesn't appear to
be normal? Can someone help me out here?  I'm I not correct in assuming
that root shouldn't be associated with a conneciton period?
Additionaly how might I end connections w/o taking down my network
connection?  I will be googling, but thought one of you security experts
out there might have an succinct and to the point answer.  Oh the other
connections, I use vuze formerly (azureus). I made sure I stopped all
seeding/downloading before exiting it.

Tia,

terry

--