[wplug] strange memory issue

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Wed Nov 4 18:09:04 EST 2009

Hi wpluggers,

I'm more of a lurker than a really consistent member, so greetings.
I'm seeing a somewhat strange memory issue with an older system of
mine and I wondered if anyone on the list has any insights about it.
The system is a Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N motherboard with 2 1600 MHz
Athlon processors.  It has been a nice Linux server for me for years.
I recently decided to upgrade the memory to its max of 4GB (4 x 1GB
sticks) and use it as a vmware platform for smaller virtual servers.
My plans are to use either ESXi or vmware server 2 on it.

I've had nothing but problems with it after the memory upgrade -
mainly segfaults of user space apps, starting with vmware server.
After chasing the problem from a software point of view, I decided to
check the memory with memtest86.  Problems detected all over!  After
reporting lots of errors, memtest86 itself would halt after a few
minutes due to an "unexpected interrupt."

So I decided to test each stick separately to find the culprit(s).
Since the original memory errors had been found within a couple of
minutes, I only gave each stick around 5 minutes of testing before
moving on to the next one in an effort to find the problem as quickly
as possible.  All four sticks passed this quick test.

I am now rerunning the original test with all four sticks in place and
it has been chugging along for the past 35 minutes with no found
issues.  Things that are different with the later tests: (1) each
single stick test was done with the stick in the first slot; and (2)
the four sticks in there now are almost certainly in a different order
than they were earlier.

I'll be thrilled if the memory passes memtest86's tests, but I'd
really love to get a nice, warm-fuzzy about the state of this server
before I start counting on it. Anyone got an explanation for why the
memory might be behaving better now?

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
"Hey, this is the government. You just can't expect five 9s" -- Chief
Justice, on the Gore/Bush election's narrow margin