[wplug] Font issues

Larry Daberko larry at daberko.com
Tue May 26 15:07:04 EDT 2009

Hi, I've been struggling with this for a while....

I have an application that runs on a Fedora 7 server.  The OS and app is
supplied and customized by the vendor.  The application runs in either a
terminal or X windows session based on what it detects is calling it.

We can run the application on a windows box by using xming-mesa and
xming-fonts.  The font display there is fine.

I got it to run on a Ubuntu EEE Box over SSH using X11 forwarding.  It
opens, but the fonts look terrible.  It looks like it's a resized version
of a smaller font.

I went through and installed a bunch of fonts on Ubuntu to no avail.  I
also attempted to find out what fonts were a part of xming-fonts.  I also
called the vendor support, which of course was no help at all.

How can I find out exactly which fonts are in use with the app?  I tried
lsof, but wasn't able to pinpoint the file/files.  The app is proprietary
and I do not have source code.