[wplug] Cat5 wiring between buildings

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Mon May 25 21:07:43 EDT 2009

I use lightning arrestors from L-Comm/HyperlinkTech for my long outdoor runs.
http://www.l-com.com/familylist.aspx?id=2113

I have 5 outdoor runs of cat5e with the longest one running about 150' and strung up on a
wire next to the telephone and CATV. I don't think the expense of fiber-optic is necessary
unless your run is longer than what UTP is rated for.

There are thousands of outdoor access points using UTP and PoE and many are in harsh
environments. Fiber is just not an option because of the PoE requirement, so I think
that's proof enough that properly protected UTP is perfect for short outdoor runs.
Especially if you aren't expecting the installation to be long-term/permanent and it's
easy to change out the cat5 every few years.

Michael
Solutions Architect, Storage
SGI