[wplug] Thoughts on a Storage System

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed May 20 14:20:10 EDT 2009

To things I wanted to follow up on:

First, Tom Grove mentioned the issue of backing this puppy up.  That
will definitely be an issue.  LTO4 seems like the obvious media for
the backups to me.  You can get a tape library that holds 48 LTO4
tapes for $10,000.  (48 LTO4 tapes cost about $2500).  That gives you
a library which holds almost 28TB for $12,500, or $0.44 per GB.
$0.44/GB is tough to beat.  Of course you'll need some software to run
the tape library, and depending on what you do there, its can be a
non-trivial cost.

Second, if I do a thorough evaluation of one or more systems in
pursuit of a solution, I'll make sure to send my results to this list.

Mike