[wplug] Tapping into an Ethernet connection

Rob Jeffries rl_jeffries at comcast.net
Mon May 18 14:43:19 EDT 2009

Regarding the hand-made tap, did you try switching the hosts around?
Because a tap will only allow receipt of packets, i wonder if the
problem might be a matter of positioning.

Also, if hand made is the route you're comfortable with, you might find
this interesting:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make_a_Passive_Network_Tap/

Also don't forget about EMI, depending on what type of work, equipment
sensitivity, removing the cat 5/6 shielding might be its own source of
quirks.

** usual disclaimers and whatnot **

-rj