[wplug] Linux Notebook Recommendation

Greg Simkins biz gregsimkins at me.com
Thu May 7 18:48:01 EDT 2009

I finally received my new Mini 9 from Dell (Inspiron 910).  You can
see from the date on the earlier email that it took a month to get it.

I thought perhaps the delay was so that Dell could ship the new remix
4.09 edition, but I see that it came with the LTS version 4.08.  I
will wait a while before upgrading.  I assume that Dell support for
ubuntu is neglible to non-existent.  Most of the instructions that
came with the new Dell Mini presupposed I was running Windows.  There
was a small booklet for getting started in ubuntu. One note told me to
immediately go to support.dell.com for updated BIOS.  Even though I
typed in my service tag (barely legible due to tiny size), Dell gave
me two options for OS:  Windows and BIOS.  The only downloads
were .exe files.  But even though the Linux support sucks, I am glad I
made a statement and purchased a native Linux install.

The small keys on the 9" Mini take some getting used to, especially
since it is hard to avoid brushing the touch pad while typing and all
of a sudden you are typing somewhere else or find that you just pasted
in something from who knows where?

It has a nice took and feel otherwise.  No noise at all of course due
to the solid state drive.

I plan to take it to a vendor tomorrow and try to use it to perform
real work (an inspection report). I told the vendor I signed my FedEx
door tag yesterday and so I would have a new toy tomorrow for the next
inspection (I usually use Microsoft Office on my MacBook Pro).  He
seems rather excited to see the ubuntu Mini.  If I get out of class in
time on Saturday, I may drop by with it to the installfest.

Greg