[wplug] router Linux ideas?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:40:55 EDT 2009

On Miércoles 06 Mayo 2009 7:24:44 PM Zachary Uram wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I got an awesome deal today on a Linksys wired Etherfast Cable/DSL
> router and 4 port switch. The model number is: BEFSR41 version 3.
>
> What exactly can I do with this in Linux? I have 2 computers and would
> like to network them using this.
>
> It came with 6 foot ethernet cable and a 12V power adapter. Any ideas
> and/or pointers on what to do to set this up in Linux would be great.
> Right now I have raw ethernet frames being sent to my laptop which is
> using static IP so I have nothing in the way:

Just unplug what's currently going into your laptop and put it into the "in"
ethernet jack on the router.  Then add 2 more ethernet cables and run them
between the "out" jacks and your computers.  I don't know what IP address
it'll become locally by default (probably 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or
192.168.2.1), but I expect it'll be set to use DHCP by default so your
computers should receive an IP from the router immediately which would then
let you login through a web browser pointing to the router (hint: you can get
its IP by looking at the gateway after you have an IP from the router).
Consult the docs to find out the default admin-user/password combo and configure
from there.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo