[wplug] router Linux ideas?

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:24:44 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I got an awesome deal today on a Linksys wired Etherfast Cable/DSL
router and 4 port switch. The model number is: BEFSR41 version 3.

What exactly can I do with this in Linux? I have 2 computers and would
like to network them using this.

It came with 6 foot ethernet cable and a 12V power adapter. Any ideas
and/or pointers on what to do to set this up in Linux would be great.
Right now I have raw ethernet frames being sent to my laptop which is
using static IP so I have nothing in the way:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
66.93.172.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         66.93.172.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

My eventual goal is to setup a DMZ network and route my public network
traffic behind that but for the present I just want to get my 2
computers sharing the DSL line using this router I got.

In case anyone has any feedback here is my planned DMZ setup:
http://www.hyperyoda.org/my-DMZ-network-diagram.png

Zach