[wplug] Coding

George Larson george.g.larson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 20:39:03 EDT 2009

Hello everybody!

So, I've been (more or less) in IT fields for so long as I've been
employed.  Most recently, I worked for Sony where I developed using
primarily .NET and now I'm coding PHP in a LAMP environment.

Yesterday my 11 year old son, interested in ole' dad's work, asked about
learning to code.  It is, of course, great that he is interested.
Conversely, I have no clue where to begin.

I'm figuring that we should attend the next WPLUG meeting (if 11 year olds
are welcome -- I'll check) but does anybody have any suggestions on where to
start?  When I was his age, I had C-64 and I typed program listings out of
magazines.  I know that MS recently released a beginner's version of VB but
I'd rather get him pointed in a FOSS direction.  He loves Ubuntu.  We
haven't tried Edubuntu yet.

Advice??

Thanks!