[wplug] mapping realdomain to localdomain for email only

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Mar 17 12:56:06 EDT 2009

Kevin Squire <gentgeen at wikiak.org> wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way I can set exim to map all
> *@realurl.org emails to kevin at localdomain without setting up exim to
> be a true forwarder

Not trying to start an MTA flamewar, but since I don't know
anything about exim here's how I *think* you'd go about doing this
in Postfix:

1. In /etc/postfix/main.cf set

recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient
recipient_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_canonical

2. Put the following in /etc/postfix/recipient_canonical

@realurl.org	kevin at localdomain

3. Then use postmap to create recipient_canonical.db

What this will do is rewrite the SMTP envelope recipient from
whatever at realurl.org to kevin at localdomain (which must be a
deliverable address).  The headers of the message will not be
touched, which may be useful for debugging purposes.

At least, I think that's what it does.  As always, test it out
first before relying on it.  :)