[wplug] DSL? (again, sigh)

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Mon Mar 9 09:58:49 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 17:35 -0500, Zach Uram wrote:
> "I have bad news - we are getting out of the DSL business.
>
> Verizon will be assuming our network some time around March 11-13.
> They'll be in contact as to switching you over from our network to
> theirs. "

I guess that leaves Consolidated Comm/NPTC as the last local (well,
regional with the merger) CLEC that has its own private ATM backhauls
and VLAN handoffs to residential ISPs.

The Paradyne hotwire was always a bit slower than ADSL, but hell of a
lot more reliable.  Always a new local loop to the DEMARC and Penn
Telecom always insisted on running new IW (a la Long Live Northpoint)

New SDSL standards are faster.  Maybe, in the future, they can evaluate
low cost (2-two) Metro Ethernet runs with Actellis gear, since people
are accustomed to having 750k/s clearchannel.

The trick is to find an ISP in Western PA with a fucking clue about
IPv6.

~BAS