[wplug] Large Database

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:33:35 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> SANs are notorious for crappy performance under database load.  Granted,
> there are a few SAN systems that actually do well ... but there are far
> more that crumble under the frequent random access of a DB.

Appreciate your input on this.  We're not looking at a SAN
specifically for database performance, but some of the options I've
looked at and been quoted are large flash-accelerator modules (e.g.
Readzilla) that I would think would do very well for database access.

But when you're shopping for big ticket items like that, I always like
to have lots of input, so that's why I put that out there.

As for blob performance, like I said that's based on a very small
sample size and MSSQL... pulling 200MB blobs out ended up taking 30
times longer than via filesystem.  Again, very small sample size.