[wplug] Large Database

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Mar 6 11:12:45 EST 2009

> If you're buying a storage system for this data too, I'd be happy to
> share a few recent quotes I got (off list) for a new, middle of the
> road SAN setup.

Gonna have to be contrary again ...

SANs are notorious for crappy performance under database load.  Granted,
there are a few SAN systems that actually do well ... but there are far
more that crumble under the frequent random access of a DB.

If you're considering a SAN to back a database system, take some serious
time to ensure you're not getting into something that's going to be way
too slow.  Get a demo unit from the vendor and test it out.

SCSI RAID-10 is your safest bet.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com