[wplug] Global Linux Meeting March 7 Sat BerkeleyTIP -Global - For Forwarding

Pat Barron pat at tiderium.com
Thu Mar 5 14:07:58 EST 2009

Eli Heady wrote
> Anyway IMHO, (and after being reminded of wplug-announce) these
> messages should be going to -announce, if anywhere.

If even there.

Personally, I'm interested in these notices - but would rather not see
them sent via WPLUG's mailing lists, which in my mind should be for
communications about WPLUG and it's activities, or communications among
WPLUG members.  To me, other organizations trying to leverage WPLUG's
mailing lists regularly (i.e., beyond maybe a once or twice a year,
"Hey, here's our organization, here's our web site, check it out if you
want" kind of thing) to gain access to the WPLUG audience are simply
spamming. The advantage to an outside organization using the WPLUG
mailing lists in this manner, is that they have a captive audience -
it's not like people can stop receiving occasional messages like t his
by unsubscribing, because then they'll miss out on the majority of
content that they actually do want.   And to me, the "If you don't want
to read these messages, just filter them" argument is a non-starter, the
messages still have to be transmitted across my bandwidth, stored on my
server for some period of time, etc., even if I don't see them, or if
they're deleted as soon as they arrive - if it's not pertinent to the
mission of that mailing list, it shouldn't even be transmitted to me.

What might be cool, rather than having various and sundry other
organizations "leverage" WPLUG's lists to gain access to that audience,
it might be nice to have a section on the WPLUG Wiki pertaining to
"Other organizations of interest", which could include a brief blurb
about what that organization is, how to get on their mailing lists, find
their web site, etc.  There could be some standards for who gets to be
listed on this page (e.g., must have something to do with computers or
technology, must have something to do with Linux, must be local, among
other possible criteria that could be used - otherwise, I can just see
some organization like the ASPCA - just as an illustration, not saying
they'd actually do this.. - saying "Well, we want to be listed on your
site, because I'm sure there are WPLUG members who would be interested
in the ASPCA..." - but their mission isn't exactly complementary with
WPLUG's mission...).  That way, people can look at the listing, see the
information about how to subscribe to the mailing list, and make their
own decision about whether or not to do so.  Mailing lists are
reasonably cheap and easy to maintain....

That's my opinion, for whatever that's worth...

--Pat.