[wplug] tracking processes writing to disk

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Mar 4 11:36:57 EST 2009

Ever had the case where some process or collection of processes goes crazy
and starts writing to disk and you can't figure out why?  Yeah, me to.  I
know you can track how much disk activity there is using programs like
iostat and vmstat, but is there any way to track it by process?  Right now
the only way I can think of is to search for a process that is frequently in
the IO or WAIT status and hope that's it.

Is there a tool that lets me list processes and appends that information
with disk IO info?

Thanks!

Patrick Wagstrom
Email/gTalk: patrick at wagstrom.net